Christ Church, Forest
St. John's Anglican, Kettle Point
St. Paul's Anglican, Thedford
(closed 14 September 2010)
Forest, a progressive community of 2,800 is located 6 kms from Lake Huron in southwestern Ontario. Forest is about 35 minutes east of Sarnia and the Michigan border at the St. Clair River near Highway 402. Christ Anglican Church is prominently located on the main highway into Forest at the top of an incline.
The town and the Parish date from the construction of the railway in 1859 with the first meetings of the congregation held in the new railway station in 1860. Forest is a prosperous retail, agricultural and service center for the surrounding area including cottages and recreational.
Christ Anglican has a stable membership of about 150 with an average attendance of about 40 that is augmented in summer by cottagers and other visitors.
The Forest and District Food Bank is housed in the basement of Christ Church Parish Hall that in turn is a center of community life and used by several community groups.
The present Christ Church with its jewel like interior was built in 1898. The Parish Hall formerly St. George's Church in Hillsborough on the Lake Shore was consecrated by Bishop John Strachan in 1853 and later moved to Forest making it the oldest structure in Forest.
Rector: Rev. Michelle Cockell
Rev. Michelle Cockell was appointed Rector on her ordination to the priesthood on November 30, 2009. She had been appointed Deacon in Charge on May 1, 2009. She was previously the Deacon Assistant at St. Mark's, Brantford.
Christ Church, Forest is part of the Parish of North Lambton with St. John's Church, Kettle Point and St. Anne's, Port Franks (summer only). St. Paul's Church, Thedford was formerly part of the parish. It closed in 2010 with Bishop Terry Dance officiating at the Service of Thanksgiving and Deconsecration. The parish is in the Deanery of Lambton in the Diocese of Huron.
In 1858 Timothy Ressegui laid out the first village lots and the opening of a railway station here in 1859 on the recently completed Grand Trunk line from Guelph to Sarnia provided the nucleus around which this community grew. A general store was opened and it was followed by other commercial enterprises. An Anglican church was established in 1861 and the following year a post office was opened. Grist-mills and sawmills were constructed and the community flourished as a trans-shipment centre. With a population of over 750, Forest, in 1872 was incorporated as a village in accordance with a Lambton County by-law and in 1889 it became a town.
Historical plaque erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Archives of Ontario in front of Forest, Ontario Public Library
|Anglican Deanery of Lambton||
|Diocese of Huron Churches|