St. Paul's Anglican, Point Edward, Ontario

 

An Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation plaque was erected at the Municipal Office, 36 St. Clair St., Point Edward, Ontario. It reads:

The Founding of Point Edward

In 1838 John Slocum, a native of New York, established a commercial fishery on the site of a former military reserve here where the St. Clair River flows out of Lake Huron.   The area remained sparsely populated until 1859 when it became the crossing point into the U.S. for the Grand Trunk Railway.   Rapid development followed and in 1864 a town plan was laid out for the community called Point Edward, reportedly after Queen Victoria's father, Edward, Duke of Kent.   In 1870 a steamship service was inaugurated to transport immigrants and supplies to western Canada and by 1873 the town contained stores, hotels, sawmills and large immigration sheds.   Five years later it was incorporated as a Village with a population of more than one thousand.

St. Pauls Anglican, Point Edward, Ontario
Services:   Sundays at 9am and 11am

Rector:   Rev'd Kristen Oliver
(since 1 February 2013.   Kristen had been Rector of St. Paul's, Chatham and
St. Thomas', Dover Township)

210 Michigan Ave., Point Edward ON N7V 1E8
Tel: 519-337-2811
Fax: 519-892-3500

St. Paul's was the gift in 1868 of Charles John Brydges (1827-1889), General Manager of the Grand Trunk Railway.   From its beginning the Church has had a close relationship with ships and shipping and the railroad.

From 1868 until 1902 when the church stood at the corner of Livingston and Victoria Avenue, the tall steeple with its flashing tin roof, together with the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, served to guide mariners down-bound on Lake Huron to the channel leading to the St. Clair River.

After 1902, the church was moved to its present location on Michigan Avenue by teams of horses.   In 1956, a parish hall was erected at the rear of the church building and was named 'Brand Hall' after a much-loved Sunday School Superintendent, Harry Brand.   This hall has become a focal point for many community activities over the years and currently hosts a Day Nursery School and regular mid-week church services are held here for the physically challenged.

St. Paul's Anglican Church is the home of numerous items associated with marine life on the Great Lakes and artifacts of the railway in Point Edward and offers with love and thanksgiving a unique ministry of heritage, tradition and service to all people.


Circle of Faith Anglican Parish Circle of Faith Trinity Anglican Church, Port Burwell, Ontario