Trinity Anglican Church
Port Burwell, Ontario


Trinity Anglican Church
170 John Street North
Aylmer, Ontario


St Luke's Church
Main Street
Vienna, Ontario

Trinity Anglican Church

25 Pitt St., Port Burwell, Ontario

The laying of the foundation ceremony for Trinity Anglican Church occurred on September 5, 1833, but it was on Sunday, February 22, 1836 that the first service was conducted.

Colonel Mahlon Burwell, after whom the village is named, was the land surveyor for Colonel Thomas Talbot.   He realized the need for the presence of the Church of England in the area, and built Trinity Church at his own expense.   At his invitation, Archdeacon John Strachan, who later became the Bishop of Toronto, came to preach on May 22, 1836, having been promised that the fifty-mile road from Brantford to Port Burwell was good for a wagon all the way.

The church bell came from Troy, New York by boat and is dated 1856.   The one-hundred guinea cost was paid for by public subscription.

Many of the early pioneers are buried in the cemetery.   The earliest recorded burial was 1818. Many pioneers died during an epidemic that raged through the village in 1878, including many at a tender young age.

The church remained in its original form until 1909 when it was re-seated, reglazed, re-shingled and redecorated.   In 1978, the spire was demolished during a severe storm.   The replacement spire is shorter than the original.

In 1908, the Port Burwell Continuation School was built in a contemporary version of the Greek Revival Style.   The principal William Walker had a staff of two and later three.   In 1925 when a new school was built, the original building was moved across the street to become the Trinity Anglican Parish Hall.

Trinity Church, Port Burwell is now part of a 3-point charge with St. Luke's Church, Vienna and Trinity Church, Aylmer.   It is in the Deanery of Delaware in the Diocese of Huron.

Rev Adele Miles became the Incumbent May 1, 2007.

Phone:   519-874-4106

Sunday Service:

11:15 a.m.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario plaque at the church:

Trinity Anglican Church 1836

This frame building was begun in 1836 and completed the following year.   An example of simple early Gothic revival architecture this church was constructed as a result of the interest and substantial financial assistance of Lieutenant-Colonel Mahlon Burwell (1785-1846).   A noted land surveyor, Burwell was the founder of this community and served as a justice of the peace and a member of the legislative assembly.   The Venerable John Strachan, Archdeacon of York, preached the first sermon in Trinity Church and the first resident clergyman to serve its congregation was the Reverend Thomas B. Read.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario plaque at the Municipal Office, Port Burwell:

Lieut-Col. Mahlon Burwell
1783-1846


Born of Loyalist parents, Burwell became a deputy-surveyor in 1809 and was instructed to lay out the Talbot Road for settlement. He was granted 600 acres of land in Southwold Township where he settled in 1815. A close associate of Col. Thomas Talbot, Burwell carried out extensive surveys in southwestern Upper Canada which prepared the way for settlement. He served in the War of 1812 as Lieutenant-colonel of the 1st Middlesex Militia, was a justice of the peace and for some 20 years represented this area in legislative assembly. This community, named in his honour was laid out by Burwell in 1830.

background:
Port Burwell Lighthouse, built 1840


St. Paul's, Point Edward, Ontario Circle of Faith Arthur Custance on Prayer